Monday, July 27, 2009

Welcome ELCA Youth!

ELCA = Evangelical Lutheran Church of America
Youth = 37,000 high shool students

Imagine my surprise when I enter New Orleans around 7:30 pm on Friday and see HOARDS of matching t-shirts inundating the streets of downtown. Imagine my excitement to learn that these 37,000 matching t-shirts have filled up almost every downtown hotel including my 59 story 4-star Sheraton hotel. Imagine my enthusiasm to realize that they are on every floor of my hotel. They are having large group meetings in the hotel conference rooms. They are going to have a dance party in the hotel ballroom Saturday night. The lobby will be constantly full of them. The coffee shops will be overwhelmed with requests for smoothies and frozen coffee treats. Who knew getting a cup of coffee and an elevator up to my room (29th floor) would be sugh a tall request. Oh but don't worry. They all had mandatory lights out at midnight. So I would be assured a least a few hours of sleep before my 8:30am Saturday morning job interview. These ELCA Youth put a damper on my NOLA visit.

On the bright side:
1. My interview went well, and I should be getting an offer tomorrow. Let's hope they want to offer me tons of money so that I don't have to actually look for a job at all.
2. I learned that the Man vs. Food guy is really pretty sucky at his job. He went to ACME Oyster House sometime this year and was only able to eat 15 dozen oysters. And the awesome black man that has worked there for 28 years told us that he really struggled with those 15 dozen. The restaurant record is 42.5 dozen.
3. I am starting to get a feel for the city since Matt and I did a considerable amount of driving around on Saturday.
3. After not falling in love with any places to live my wonderful husband managed to snag us a reservation at Emeril's.
4. It was marvelous! Here was our menu:
  • Appetizer 1: Warm Mississippi Rabbit Remoulade with Fried Green Tomatoes
  • Appetizer 2: Seafood Gumbo with Andouille Sausage
  • My Main Course: Andouille Crusted Texas Redfish with Grilled Vegetables, Shoestring Potatoes, Glazed Pecans and Creole Meunière Sauce
  • Matt's Main Course: Saffron-Chili Dusted Jumbo Gulf Shrimp with Brown Butter-Sweet Potato Grits, Skillet Beans, Benton’s Bacon, Smoked Corn and Mango Chow Chow
  • Matt's Dessert: Sticky Toffee Blueberry Bread Pudding with White Chocolate Ice Cream
  • My Dessert: Pecan Pie with Bourbon Chocolate Ice Cream, Caramel Sauce and Pecan Brittle

5. I got to enjoy Café du Monde and the French Market Sunday morning before heading home.

Matt heads down there on Wednesday for his orientation Thursday. It was such a long time coming, but seems to be happening so fast!

No comments:

Post a Comment