Friday, May 13, 2011

Fried shrimp, boiled shrimp...

When I was young I loved popcorn shrimp. I can remember ordering it all the time. Something happened in my late teens and I no longer liked shrimp. This went on for years, the no shrimp eating. Then we moved down here. I remember the turning point exactly. John Besh published his My New Orleans cook book right after we got here. I bought myself a copy then went to a book signing at Octavia Books. It was actually a book signing and tasting. He cooked shrimp creole and everyone (all 20 of us) got a small serving with two large tail-on shrimp. There was no way I was going to turn down his food. And there was no way I was going to risk the chance of him seeing me not finish it all. So I ate it all. And it was not bad. Since then I have been more open-minded about shrimp. I have even gone so far as to order shrimp poboys on multiple occasions. Thank you Verti Mart for reopening! I think I'm back on the shrimp train, and it's bound for glory!


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment